DESIGN OF THE LE PIEVI COMPLEX, SAN GIMIGNANELLO, ASCIANO (SI), ITALY
Typology
Architecture
Location
San Gimignanello, Asciano (Siena), Italy
Year
2019
Client
Private
Cost
3.500.000,00€
Builded surface
2.800,00sqm
Total surface
65.402,00sqm
Services rendered
Technical and Economic Feasibility Project
Property subject to conservation orders pursuant to Article 10(3)(a) of Legislative Decree 42/2004, by Decree No. 81/2006 of 27 February 2006
It is one of the most significant local centres in the entire region, as its history is closely linked to the ancient parish church of Santo Stefano a Vicoduo decim, which originally stood on this site and was later reduced to a farmhouse when its parish rights were transferred to the church of San Lorenzo in San Gemignanello. Churches dedicated to Saint Stephen the Protomartyr are generally very ancient, and furthermore, the name Vitodecim indicates a Roman village that stood on the Via Adriana at the entrance to the Sentino valley, twelve miles from the important road junction of Manliana (Torrita di Siena). However, this church is not included in the list of parish churches disputed between the dioceses of Arezzo and Siena, neither in the list of 650 nor in those of 714–715. It is mentioned under the title “Plebs S.Stefani in Vico XII” in an Arezzo document from 1040, and under the same title of Pieve di San Stefano it appears in the lists of the Rationes decimarum Tusciae from the years 1278 and 1302. A pastoral visit in 1460 records it as still being a parish church, whilst the subsequent visit in 1575 found it in such poor condition that the roof was leaking, the altar lacked a cross and an altarpiece, and the floor was of hard-packed earth; Bishop Berrucci ordered its restoration. This state of neglect continued until the end of the 16th century, when it was converted into a farmstead, although it is likely that the two functions coexisted for a certain period. The building’s new use and the presence of a residential settlement are documented in 1619. Ownership of the farmstead in 1593 is attributed to the Bizzarri family and, from 1615 onwards, to the Pinocchi family. Throughout the 17th and 18th centuries, it remained a single farmstead, although the estate was very extensive. It was not until 1778 that the first record appears of two farmsteads, the ‘new and old’ Pieve, belonging to Mr Sansedoni, who evidently had sharecroppers living there. Between the 18th and 19th centuries, a further residential building and several agricultural outbuildings were added to the main building. In later times, it was used as a residence for several households, four of which were housed in the main building, as indicated by the plaques (Pieve I, Pieve II, Pieve III, Pieve IV) visible near the entrance stairs. The complex’s agricultural function survived until a few decades ago. Currently uninhabited, it is undergoing renovation. A property complex comprising a total of five buildings with a large courtyard and an adjoining plot of land, known as Podere Le Pievi. These buildings have a total floor area of approximately 2,300 square metres, in addition to the external courtyard and the approximately 65,402 square metres of surrounding land. The aforementioned buildings are in a shell condition, i.e. devoid of any building services, be they sewerage, heating, plumbing or electrical, and of any type of finish; in other words, there is no plaster, screed, cladding, flooring or joinery of any kind. Load-bearing structure: the vertical structures consist of stone and/or brick masonry; the horizontal structures comprise vaulted and/or timber and brick ceilings, topped with reinforced concrete slabs; the roofs are constructed of timber and brick, topped with a reinforced concrete slab and a roof covering of flat and curved tiles; in some areas, large-scale metal trusses have been used to support the roof structure. External and internal infill walls: internal partition walls are almost never present; consequently, the division between the various rooms is provided by the internal load-bearing walls and, only in some cases, by new walls—which also serve a load-bearing function—constructed from clay bricks or aerated concrete blocks.
DESIGN OF THE LE PIEVI COMPLEX, SAN GIMIGNANELLO, ASCIANO (SI), ITALY
Typology
Architecture
Location
San Gimignanello, Asciano (Siena), Italy
Year
2019
Client
Private
Cost
3.500.000,00€
Builded surface
2.800,00sqm
Total surface
65.402,00sqm
Services rendered
Technical and Economic Feasibility Project
Property subject to conservation orders pursuant to Article 10(3)(a) of Legislative Decree 42/2004, by Decree No. 81/2006 of 27 February 2006
It is one of the most significant local centres in the entire region, as its history is closely linked to the ancient parish church of Santo Stefano a Vicoduo decim, which originally stood on this site and was later reduced to a farmhouse when its parish rights were transferred to the church of San Lorenzo in San Gemignanello. Churches dedicated to Saint Stephen the Protomartyr are generally very ancient, and furthermore, the name Vitodecim indicates a Roman village that stood on the Via Adriana at the entrance to the Sentino valley, twelve miles from the important road junction of Manliana (Torrita di Siena). However, this church is not included in the list of parish churches disputed between the dioceses of Arezzo and Siena, neither in the list of 650 nor in those of 714–715. It is mentioned under the title “Plebs S.Stefani in Vico XII” in an Arezzo document from 1040, and under the same title of Pieve di San Stefano it appears in the lists of the Rationes decimarum Tusciae from the years 1278 and 1302. A pastoral visit in 1460 records it as still being a parish church, whilst the subsequent visit in 1575 found it in such poor condition that the roof was leaking, the altar lacked a cross and an altarpiece, and the floor was of hard-packed earth; Bishop Berrucci ordered its restoration. This state of neglect continued until the end of the 16th century, when it was converted into a farmstead, although it is likely that the two functions coexisted for a certain period. The building’s new use and the presence of a residential settlement are documented in 1619. Ownership of the farmstead in 1593 is attributed to the Bizzarri family and, from 1615 onwards, to the Pinocchi family. Throughout the 17th and 18th centuries, it remained a single farmstead, although the estate was very extensive. It was not until 1778 that the first record appears of two farmsteads, the ‘new and old’ Pieve, belonging to Mr Sansedoni, who evidently had sharecroppers living there. Between the 18th and 19th centuries, a further residential building and several agricultural outbuildings were added to the main building. In later times, it was used as a residence for several households, four of which were housed in the main building, as indicated by the plaques (Pieve I, Pieve II, Pieve III, Pieve IV) visible near the entrance stairs. The complex’s agricultural function survived until a few decades ago. Currently uninhabited, it is undergoing renovation. A property complex comprising a total of five buildings with a large courtyard and an adjoining plot of land, known as Podere Le Pievi. These buildings have a total floor area of approximately 2,300 square metres, in addition to the external courtyard and the approximately 65,402 square metres of surrounding land. The aforementioned buildings are in a shell condition, i.e. devoid of any building services, be they sewerage, heating, plumbing or electrical, and of any type of finish; in other words, there is no plaster, screed, cladding, flooring or joinery of any kind. Load-bearing structure: the vertical structures consist of stone and/or brick masonry; the horizontal structures comprise vaulted and/or timber and brick ceilings, topped with reinforced concrete slabs; the roofs are constructed of timber and brick, topped with a reinforced concrete slab and a roof covering of flat and curved tiles; in some areas, large-scale metal trusses have been used to support the roof structure. External and internal infill walls: internal partition walls are almost never present; consequently, the division between the various rooms is provided by the internal load-bearing walls and, only in some cases, by new walls—which also serve a load-bearing function—constructed from clay bricks or aerated concrete blocks.




